Dental Assistant in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York?
A Dental Assistant plays a crucial role in any dentist practice and in the treatment procedures of patients in Brookhaven NY and greater New York. In fact, such a person enables the majority of procedures to take place in the dental room, and makes sure that all actions are performed successfully and in due time.
If you are thinking about becoming a Dental Assistant, the very idea that your help can improve the patient’s health and his or her mood or just make him or her calmer and more confident in the dental chair should make you feel proud! This article will guide you through the necessary skills and training required to become a dental assistant in Brookhaven NY. Significant education, training and study is required, however there are many accredited schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York, such as those identified throughout this website.
What Educational Base You are to Obtain to Become a Dental Assistant in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York?
It goes without saying that a person working in a health related environment should have a high level of education and training. It does not necessarily mean that a degree needs to be obtained. However, a license or a registration certificate for a Dental Assistant is an obligatory requirement, this can be obtained by undertaking relevant study at accredited schools and institutions in Brookhaven NY. One more important prerequisite for becoming a professional Dental Assistant is that you are to pass a Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) examination or have minimum 2 years of experiencing in this field. Again, studying at relevant schools will help you prepare for such examinations, such schools can be found in Brookhaven NY or greater New York.
Some Useful Subjects to be Mastered to Become a Dental Assistant in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
As it was mentioned above, it is extremely preferred that a Dental Assistant has a medical educational background, i.e. he or she has taken courses on dentistry or dental assisting from accredited schools in Brookhaven NY or greater New York. In addition, the courses for dental technicians, dentists, dental therapists will bring more confidence in your performance as a Dental Assistant. However, the majors connected with social sciences and management will be of great help because working as a Dental Assistant you will need to provide non-medical services as well, like keeping patient treatment records and documentation, communication with the patients, and arranging the time schedule of the dental operators.
As you can see, there are many different courses available from schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York. We suggest you take the time to research into the various courses and schools available to find the right opportunity for you.
Dental Assistant Schools in New York
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Assisting
Get hands-on training with Ridley-Lowell Business & Technical Institute. Our campuses in New York and Connecticut can help give you career training in a wide variety of fields, including accounting, cosmetology, criminal justice, electrical systems technology, HVAC, IT, legal assisting, massage therapy, allied health, office administration, and more.
- Medical Assistant - Day
- Medical Assistant - Eve
Take the fast track to your future at Elmira Business Institute!
Learn how you can get the training you need to begin a rewarding career in a field of high-demand. Complete and submit the form and one of our Admissions Representatives will be in touch soon to tell you more.
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assistant
- Clinical Medical Assistant-CERT
- Medical Office Assistant-CERT
- Patient Care Technician Level 1
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Master of Public Health Global Health
- Master of Public Health: Nutrition
- Master of Public Health: Health Promotion
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Administration (AMBA)
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
Skills Necessary to be a Dental Assistant in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
The profession of a Dental Assistant’s and Dentists in general includes multiple tasks, which sometimes are carried out simultaneously. Moreover, medical environments always presupposes certain emotional stress both for patients and clinicians. That is why ability to handle stress is one of the most important prerequisites for a Dental Assistant. Some of additional skills that a Dental Assistant should possess include:
- Good communication skills (to enable fruitful cooperation between the clinician and the patient);
- Confidence and calmness (to make the patient feel comfortable in a tense situation);
- Attention to detail (to ensure fast and correct performance of the required procedures); and
- Integrity (to ensure confidentiality for the patient’s personal information).
Daily Activities and Job Duties for a Dental Assistant in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Obviously, a Dental Assistant should be able to take care of numerous tasks during the working day. No doubt, the major one is ensuring successful services and treatment for the patient. However, a professional Dental Assistant is to pay attention to the following duties as well:
- Assistance in the dental treatment of the patient;
- Keeping the treatment records and documentation connected with the treatment process, as well as the medical history of a person;
- Communication with the patients in regard to the appointments and visits to the dental room;
- Taking care of the patient’s preparation for the dental surgery or examination;
- Assistance during the dental operations or surgery including the instruments’ preparation, their sterilizing and passing them to the dental surgeon during and after the operation;
- Arranging the clinician’s working schedule;
- Organizing the cooperation between the clinician, other medical and non-medical institutions, and the patient; and
- Arranging the maintenance of the dental facilities.
The extensive list of activities and duties above may looks daunting, however undertaking relevant education and training from schools and education providers in Brookhaven NY and greater New York will help prepare you for your career as a dental assistant.
Career Opportunities and Earning Potential of a Dental Assistant in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
It is not a secret that the dentistry sector is one of the highest paid within the health care field. As a result, one can conclude that a professional Dental Assistant has a great chance to earn a good salary. According to the United States BLS in 2010 the average salary for a Dental Assistant was about $33,470 per year.
Undertaking relevant study, education and training is an excellent way to improve your earning potential. Relevant education from accredited schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York is highly regarded and sought after.