Dental Assistant in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York?
A Dental Assistant plays a crucial role in any dentist practice and in the treatment procedures of patients in Brookhaven NY and greater New York. In fact, such a person enables the majority of procedures to take place in the dental room, and makes sure that all actions are performed successfully and in due time.
If you are thinking about becoming a Dental Assistant, the very idea that your help can improve the patient’s health and his or her mood or just make him or her calmer and more confident in the dental chair should make you feel proud! This article will guide you through the necessary skills and training required to become a dental assistant in Brookhaven NY. Significant education, training and study is required, however there are many accredited schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York, such as those identified throughout this website.
What Educational Base You are to Obtain to Become a Dental Assistant in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York?
It goes without saying that a person working in a health related environment should have a high level of education and training. It does not necessarily mean that a degree needs to be obtained. However, a license or a registration certificate for a Dental Assistant is an obligatory requirement, this can be obtained by undertaking relevant study at accredited schools and institutions in Brookhaven NY. One more important prerequisite for becoming a professional Dental Assistant is that you are to pass a Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) examination or have minimum 2 years of experiencing in this field. Again, studying at relevant schools will help you prepare for such examinations, such schools can be found in Brookhaven NY or greater New York.
Some Useful Subjects to be Mastered to Become a Dental Assistant in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
As it was mentioned above, it is extremely preferred that a Dental Assistant has a medical educational background, i.e. he or she has taken courses on dentistry or dental assisting from accredited schools in Brookhaven NY or greater New York. In addition, the courses for dental technicians, dentists, dental therapists will bring more confidence in your performance as a Dental Assistant. However, the majors connected with social sciences and management will be of great help because working as a Dental Assistant you will need to provide non-medical services as well, like keeping patient treatment records and documentation, communication with the patients, and arranging the time schedule of the dental operators.
As you can see, there are many different courses available from schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York. We suggest you take the time to research into the various courses and schools available to find the right opportunity for you.
Dental Assistant Schools in New York
- Dental Assistant
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Assistant
- Patient Care Technician Level 1
- Professional Medical Assistant
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Medical Assisting
- Clinical Medical Assistant-CERT
- Medical Office Assistant-CERT
For over 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, quality career education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, healthcare and computer technology. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
Orion College is a post-secondary vocational school offering Associate Degree programs in Business Administration, Medical Assisting and Healthcare Management.. By utilizing online learning, students have the flexibility to continue their education from the convenience of their own home. Our virtual classrooms will enable students to attend classes and communicate with instructors and classmates. Students can complete some programs without leaving their current employment or sacrificing family time.
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assistant
Get hands-on training with Ridley-Lowell Business & Technical Institute. Our campuses in New York and Connecticut can help give you career training in a wide variety of fields, including accounting, cosmetology, criminal justice, electrical systems technology, HVAC, IT, legal assisting, massage therapy, allied health, office administration, and more.
- Medical Assistant - Eve
- Medical Assistant - Day
- Medical Administrative Assistant - Eve
- And more...
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- M.S. Mind-Body Medicine
- Ph.D. Mind-Body Medicine
Skills Necessary to be a Dental Assistant in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
The profession of a Dental Assistant’s and Dentists in general includes multiple tasks, which sometimes are carried out simultaneously. Moreover, medical environments always presupposes certain emotional stress both for patients and clinicians. That is why ability to handle stress is one of the most important prerequisites for a Dental Assistant. Some of additional skills that a Dental Assistant should possess include:
- Good communication skills (to enable fruitful cooperation between the clinician and the patient);
- Confidence and calmness (to make the patient feel comfortable in a tense situation);
- Attention to detail (to ensure fast and correct performance of the required procedures); and
- Integrity (to ensure confidentiality for the patient’s personal information).
Daily Activities and Job Duties for a Dental Assistant in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Obviously, a Dental Assistant should be able to take care of numerous tasks during the working day. No doubt, the major one is ensuring successful services and treatment for the patient. However, a professional Dental Assistant is to pay attention to the following duties as well:
- Assistance in the dental treatment of the patient;
- Keeping the treatment records and documentation connected with the treatment process, as well as the medical history of a person;
- Communication with the patients in regard to the appointments and visits to the dental room;
- Taking care of the patient’s preparation for the dental surgery or examination;
- Assistance during the dental operations or surgery including the instruments’ preparation, their sterilizing and passing them to the dental surgeon during and after the operation;
- Arranging the clinician’s working schedule;
- Organizing the cooperation between the clinician, other medical and non-medical institutions, and the patient; and
- Arranging the maintenance of the dental facilities.
The extensive list of activities and duties above may looks daunting, however undertaking relevant education and training from schools and education providers in Brookhaven NY and greater New York will help prepare you for your career as a dental assistant.
Career Opportunities and Earning Potential of a Dental Assistant in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
It is not a secret that the dentistry sector is one of the highest paid within the health care field. As a result, one can conclude that a professional Dental Assistant has a great chance to earn a good salary. According to the United States BLS in 2010 the average salary for a Dental Assistant was about $33,470 per year.
Undertaking relevant study, education and training is an excellent way to improve your earning potential. Relevant education from accredited schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York is highly regarded and sought after.